Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:03:17 -0400
>I belong to this camp - weeds around hives provide a microclimate of still
>air and make it easier for bees to land, even when there is a strong wind;
>weeds never seem to be a problem to the bees.

I've done it both ways.  We found that too many weeds and tall grass can
make the hives hot and stuffy in summer weather and full sun, leading to
potential swarming problems, but weeds also provide warmth in spring.

Leaving them be worked out perfectly, in that we had the protection in spring
if we let them grow, but in summer, they were tall enough that working
around the hives trampled them flat and they were then no problem.

I only mow my yard these days for appearance reasons.  If I were keeping
outyards, I'd just trample the growth around the hives and only mow or use
a weed eater in extreme cases where the grass and weeds could be a
tripping hazard or hide obstacles.  Twisted ankles are no joke, especially
when carrying full boxes.