From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:31:48 -0600
Hello Tim & All,
Thanks for the reply Tim!

  Although we prefer different comb styles we quickly found common ground to
agree on.

 Industry today:
Commercial beekeeping is a tough business and keeps getting tougher all the
time. The profit margin keeps shrinking despite today's honey prices and
pollination fees.

Many hypothesis exist about why bees are becoming harder to keep alive. Take
your pick!

The bottom line is many commercial beekeepers are seeing annual losses
higher
than in a couple decades. 70-90% losses reported  already in several areas
of the U.S..

I went down the list calling  all of  the package bee suppliers in Georgia
last week checking to see what they are hearing and seeing. Not good! All
booked into May. Crashes reported in all areas of the U.S..

Package bee suppliers say they are double booked with a waiting list. Many
said they worry about not being able to supply beekeepers in the northern
states which have hives which have not yet been looked at.

In California commercial beekeepers are reporting  the number of problem
hives is in the 400,000 to 600,000 range ( source Matt Beekman commercial
beekeeper) .

A Fresno, California commercial beekeeper said the researchers are saying
the die off is being caused by two pathogens working together . Nosema
cerana and a yet unnamed pathogen researchers are calling "the beast" (
source beesource .com).

In my area of Missouri we are expected to get our first 50F day tomorrow
since November. 90 days confined in cluster. Very unusual for our area.
Texas for winter or wrapping would have been a good idea this year for those
wintering in North Missouri.

bob