Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:32:23 -0600
> I've been using styrofoam nucs for a couple of years now and have
> successfully overwintered colonies in them when they were new.

I'd be interested in how long the bees were in the boxes before the winter
season.  My one-time problem was related to transferring the hives late in
the season, I think.  I just inverted each brood chamber, lifted the wooden
box off, slid a new plastic box on, and turned the brood chamber right side
up again.  I figured that would not be as big a disturbance as moving frame
by frame.

I received the following privately and it may shed some light:

> I can tell you that, from my experience, there is NO correlation between
> new boxes and inferior wintering. Have had whole apiaries of stormers in
> the spring on first season gear.

> There is however a strong correlation between installation date
> (especially if being transferred over from wooden hives) and wintering
> performance. The later the installation the poorer the prognosis.

> All Scandinavian advice says that wintering is affected for installation
> dates after mid July, and the later it gets the worse it gets. Actually I
> have found up to early August is OKish, but after that it gets doubtful.
> This is the same whether the boxes are new or used.

> Have always been told this is due to the temperature profile and warm
> areas being different from traditional wooden hives, and it takes the bees
> a good generation or more to reformat their practices and stores (esp
> pollen) configuration. It seems to hold true from my observations.

It is common knowledge that at our latitude, splits made after July and late
swarms often fail to winter well.  a number of explanations have been
offered.

> As for frames, I use plastic (Pierco wax coated) both in my main hives and
> in the styrofoam nucs, and have never seen any problems with acceptance.

I don't notice much smell from new Pierco either and have found acceptance
to be good.

I was, however, puzzled by the first season wintering results.  My plastic
hives have performed well in subsequent winters.