From:
"Jeffrey R. Hills" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:05:11 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey R. Hills [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]'
Subject: Black and Orange Critters - Now Charcoal Gray Critters

With apologies to anybody watching this thread, I am now thinking I am being
visited by a different critter instead of the fuzzy black and orange one,
which incidentally is not a Soldier Beetle or a Boxelder Bug.

This morning I found a new candidate having a stroll on top of the cover of
one of the two hives with this phenomenon.  He was about the same 3/8" long.
Sort of a uniform dark charcoal gray with folding wings.  Body uniform in
its approximate 1/8" width.  Wings-folded shape is not in the least
tent-like or triangular (as are most moths?).  No segmentation or shell-like
beetle attributes.  This critter is soft and moth-like; not hard and
segmented like a beetle.

The remarkable thing is that there are a few dried out carcasses of about
this same size, but without feet or a distinguishable head on the bottom
board at the entry to the hive in the morning.  The bees gather them up with
feet and fly off with them!

Thanks in advance to anybody with an idea about this bug's ID.

Jeff Hills
Dorset, VT