From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:32:17 -0500
Dear Beeks,

I have been watching the tulip poplar tree for over 15 years.  It has
not produced any nectar for those years.  I have ruled out many things
and now have no answer as to why this is.  It took me all those years
to get where I am now.  Years ago this area from southern Pennsylvania
to northern Georgia (USA) was known as the tulip poplar region because
it was the main producer of nectar in this area.  For the past several
years I have been watching the black locust tree and the holly tree
that were also great nectar producers.  It would be that when these
trees were in bloom you could hear all the buzzing and see the
hundreds of bees and other insects working these trees; and now there
are NONE.

I live in the area of southern Maryland, 70 miles south of Washington,
D.C.   I have discussed this with many beekeepers and others who might
understand what is going on.  No answers.  Mr. Flottum has published
in his Letters To The Editor in Bee Culture magazine for the past
three years about this situation.  Still no answer.  I asked at my
beekeeper's club for people to watch when these trees are in bloom.  A
couple did and reported the same observation as I have.   There was
much discussion at meetings about no surplus honey this past year and
many had to feed but most did not have the time or inclination to
watch these trees when they are in bloom.

So I am asking that those on this list who live in this area if they
would help this year when these trees come into bloom.

Thanks,
Bill Bartlett