ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:51:04 -0800

Teaching evolution is controversial.  You have to hand it to the creationists, they have done a good job of creating an atmosphere of intimidation.   But shouldn't NOT teaching of evolution also be controversial?  What would happen if we all walked down to our local schools, pounded on the principals' desk, and demanded that evolution be included in the curriculum?    Just wondering....

On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Jim Taylor wrote:

> I think it's also important for us to remember that, in comparison to working in many public schools, the job of "Museum Educator" is a piece of cake. Our students visit, have fun, learn some cool stuff, and then leave. If they occasionally argue the science, we can treat it as a teachable moment, praise their engagement, and go laugh about it with our colleagues as soon as the kids are back on their bus. The classroom teacher might have 100 or more students each semester (ALL semester), and must also deal with their parents, community churches, possibly unsupportive administrators and colleagues, local media, and answer to an elected school board. If they choose to avoid hot-button topics, I might disagree with them... but I haven't walked nearly enough miles in their shoes to put them down for it.
>
> Jim Taylor
> Vice President of Programs & Exhibits
> The Health Adventure
> P.O. Box 180