From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:47:53 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I'm not sure whether Roger means just Mahler recordings.  For years I read
>and heard stories about Kubelik's 1951 Chicago Pictures at an Exhibition
>which gave it a status beyond the legendary.  I know Mercury re-released it
>over a year ago, but if anyone missed it, just buy it!

Sorry, I was not limiting it to just Mahler recordings.  As a vinylphile
I can tell you there were many outstanding stereo recordings made right
from the beginning of the stereo era (1954, though EMI lagged a bit).
Some would absolutely astonish people who think that great sound began
with digital.

And if you don't require stereo, the Kubelik is a classic.  Indeed, those
Mercury monos with Kubelik and the Chicago Symphony were something special.
Agreed.

Roger Hecht