From:
Luis M Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:50:38 +0000
Irene Scopelliti wrote:

>Does anyone agree with me that Rostropovich's performance of Dvorak
>cello conc.  (but also Tchaikowsky rococo variations) is the greatest
>one above all?

I agree that Rostropovich/Karajan Dvorak cello concerto is one of the best
performances I own.  Better than Casals/Szell for example, which I also
own.  But my favorite performance of the many in my collection is without
any doubt Helmerson/Jarvi on BIS.  The adagio and the finale of the last
movement are sublime moments of poetry showing why is Helmerson one of the
best cellists of his generation (and of any other...).  The orchestral
support is also very nice.  I discover the performance in the Classic CD
Magazine "Building a Collection" section, where they present what they
consider the best performance for a particular work.

Luis Afonso