From:
Cam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:38:46 -0400
>Just about all the ones who used the EO's to "cure" the problem had
problems. It seems to be more a prophylactic treatment. Stop the problem
before it can become a larger one.

>The problem with many of these treatments is that much of what is claimed
for them is disproved, but there may be some truth in there somewhere. Take
thymol. It was an EO that has migrated into an fairly effective mite
treatment, but only after being tested and formulated to do so.

Bill,

Makes great sense to me. Since many packages are stessed and develop nosema as a result, it makes sense to me to use thymol with the first couple of feedings. I'm also going to use HBH, there is some evidence that it helps bees from packages and there are no studies that I'm aware of that say either HBH or thymol will harm them. So, for me, it's a no-lose situation. But I have no good experience with these new mites and diseases. So, it's a guessing game so far.