ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carolyn B Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:08:45 -0400

Dear List Members,

Join us by registering now for an informative conference on Case Study teaching. Learn or improve your case study teaching method. The conference is applicable for all subjects and teaching levels. Our Fall Case Study Conference will take place September 23-24 in Buffalo, NY. It is quite an exceptional event. This year we have a number of sessions that specifically focus on the use of case studies in the physical sciences.  In addition, we have sessions that are tailored for newcomers, high school teachers, and veteran case teachers. Our conference features two plenaries and a dinner talk: The Critical Roles for Case Studies (and Other Active Learning Methods) in Improving Undergraduate STEM Education-A National Perspective, Jay Labov, Senior Advisor for Education and Communications, National Academy of Sciences and National Research Council, Washington, DC ; Cases, Social Networking, and Workspaces, Ethel Stanley, Director, BioQUEST Curriculum Consortium, Beloit College; and Cases That Make You Think ... The Secret's in the Questions, Paula Lemons, Assistant Professor, Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Georgia, and David Terry, Assistant Professor of Education, Alfred University

HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS - Our "mini" track is made up of three sessions on Saturday specifically designed for high school science teachers (though others, we think, will find it of interest too!). Our break-out session leader is Kathy Hoppe, Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES K-12 Science Support, Director at Large for Biology Science Teachers Association of New York State,

Biology- Chemistry Professional Development Network.

POSTERS: The conference also includes a poster session and we would be pleased if you submitted a proposal by September 1, 2011. We would like to encourage you to consider presenting a poster at the upcoming cases studies conference, if you have case study teaching work you would like to share with us.  We understand that many of you are new to the case study method, but for those of you who have been teaching with cases, we would love to have you present your work in this way. The poster session is very friendly and a great way to meet your colleagues. For information on presenting a poster please go to our website at http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/training/conference/poster-session.asp If you have any questions or are wondering if this is something you could do, please call us. We’re here to guide and encourage you in this area.

Our conference will be led by Dr. Clyde (Kipp) Herreid, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor and Director of the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science. The conference is open to anyone interested in science education including high school teachers and international teachers. See below for a full listing of the conference sessions and other information.

Register now for this exciting 2-day Case Study Teaching in Science Conference, which takes place on September 23rd and 24th, 2011. Please pass this announcement along to colleagues of yours who are not on this listserv.

Regards,

Carolyn Wright

Administrator, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science University at Buffalo, State University of New York

12th ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON CASE STUDY TEACHING IN SCIENCE Presented by the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science State University of New York at Buffalo