ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:36:47 -0500

I hate to be negative, but I thought the first episode of the Making Stuff Nova series was terrible.  I found Pogue (who I normally like) to be much better suited to the 2 minute format of his online videos than he is to an hour long show.  I thought the whole thing was so outrageously male-geek oriented (nascar, bullet proof vests, creepy spiders) that I can't imagine they gave even a moments thought to how to engage people other than that very narrow audience (whether male or female).  Also, I think everyone was white in conjunction with maleness and the geekness, really turned me off.

The atomic models of how these things worked were just flat out dopey, straight from a 1950's textbook.  The examples shown a the beginning titles included the famous space elevator and the nanobots, both of which are among the least plausible outcomes of nanoscience (let alone material science), but are kind of popular distorted tropes of what nanoscience means.  Hearing pogue constantly congratulating himself on his geekiness also really grated.

Sorry, particularly if I offend anyone who was involved with this.  I hope it gets better in next three episodes.

Eric