Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:36:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (111 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I hate to be negative, but I thought the first episode of the Making Stuff Nova series was terrible.  I found Pogue (who I normally like) to be much better suited to the 2 minute format of his online videos than he is to an hour long show.  I thought the whole thing was so outrageously male-geek oriented (nascar, bullet proof vests, creepy spiders) that I can't imagine they gave even a moments thought to how to engage people other than that very narrow audience (whether male or female).  Also, I think everyone was white in conjunction with maleness and the geekness, really turned me off.  

The atomic models of how these things worked were just flat out dopey, straight from a 1950's textbook.  The examples shown a the beginning titles included the famous space elevator and the nanobots, both of which are among the least plausible outcomes of nanoscience (let alone material science), but are kind of popular distorted tropes of what nanoscience means.  Hearing pogue constantly congratulating himself on his geekiness also really grated. 

Sorry, particularly if I offend anyone who was involved with this.  I hope it gets better in next three episodes.

Eric

On Jan 20, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Len Adams wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Hi,
> 
> There's a website called The Story of Stuff that would make an interesting contrast to some of this material.  The Story of Stuff looks at how consumption impacts the world, and takes a broad look at the production loop.
> 
> http://www.storyofstuff.org
> 
> =======================================
> The Story of Stuff
> 
> With over 12 million on-line views, The Story of Stuff is one of the most widely viewed environmental-themed short films of all time. Since its release in December 2007, The Story of Stuff has been shown in thousands of schools, houses of worship, community events and businesses around the world.
> =======================================
> 
> - Len
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Margaret Glass
> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:35 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [ISEN-ASTC-L] Making Stuff
> 
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Be sure to tune in tonight, Wednesday Jan. 19, for the premiere episode of the new NOVA series "Making Stuff." In this four-part series, New York Times technology reporter David Pogue takes viewers on a tour of the material world we live in, with glimpses toward the future. Episodes include behind-the-scenes previews of scientific innovations that include a new generation of materials that are stronger, smaller, cleaner, and smarter. The series was created in cooperation with the Materials Research Society.
> 
> "Making Stuff" resources include a collection of materials science activities and demonstrations developed in conjunction with the episodes. These outreach materials will help educators and scientists to engage audiences in both formal and informal settings. You can find them here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/education/making-stuff.html.
> 
> Making Stuff will run on four consecutive Wednesday nights at 9 pm ET/PT on PBS, beginning January 19. Check your local listings to confirm your viewing times.
> 
> Happy viewing!
> 
> Margaret
> 
> 
> Margaret Glass, PhD
> Communications Manager
> Association of Science-Technology Centers
> 1025 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500
> Washington, DC 20005-6310
> 202.783.7200 x 129
> Fax 202.783.7207
> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> www.astc.org<http://www.astc.org/>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]
> *************************************************************************************
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. It has been scanned for viruses. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. **************************************************************************************
> 
> 
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2