ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:12:28 -0500

Hi All

Beverly Serrell, who has extensively studied time at exhibits has a paper,
"Are They Watching?: Visitors and Videos in Exhibitions" in Curator, 45/1, January 2002, pages 50-64.
which looks at similar issues.

She also suggests looking into the Active Prolonged Engagement research being done at the Exploratorium.
Joshua Gutwill and others just presented a paper on that at the Visitor Studies Conference last week.  A book is coming out soon and will be available through ASTC or through the Exploratorium.

Linda Wilson
Manager, Audience Research and Evaluation
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
PH (312) 692 3261
FAX (312) 939-8677

Dave, I've long had a "by guess and by golly" rule that we should try to
have
every experience come available to a new person every 90 seconds. So, a
three minute experience should be twinned, etc.

I arrived at that by timing how long people would wait before they showed
signs of impatience, or moved on to another exhibit. It was rather
unscientific;
I did not have a statistical sample.

Like you, I'd be interested to hear what others think of this matter, and
if there
are good measurements.

Marty, for multimedia exhibits, there are several examples of a request,
after
x minutes or a complete cycle, to let someone else use the exhibit.

Regards, Peter Anderson