HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:21:16 -0500
Reminds me of (What we called) A Hay Harrow we used to clean and level the
field after we had cut all the hay or weeds down. We also used a harrow to
level the fields flat preparing for new planting. We sometimes placed large
logs or timbers on the harrow to make it heavier and ploy deeper. The ones
we used had spikes on the bottom in order to tear the soil away from deep
root crops.
We had a windrow rake we use to rake the hay in rows for bailing.

But, I could be wrong for that was soooo long ago and farming was much more
crude.