HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike Angst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 08:58:39 -0500
Oliver -
I'd suggest the wooden box might be a secondary conduit/casing.  Although it would help to protect against digging, I'd suggest it would be more important protection if the ground is very stony or full of rubble debris - anything that might damage or crush your utility line even through the metal conduit.  Also, in the spirit of "they don't make things like they used to" the rigid line you describe just may be heavier gauge steel flexible electrical conduit.  Some gas lines, usually for in-house connections, have flexible steel lines as well.
Mike

Michael G. Angst
Senior Archaeologist
Archaeological Research Laboratory
University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Room 237,  Middlebrook Building
Knoxville, Tennessee  37996-0060
office:  (865) 946-1882; cell:  (865) 382-0931
fax:  (865) 946-1883
http://archaeology.as.utk.edu/