HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Dec 2011 15:57:39 -0500
There's a species of electrical flexi-pipe which still can be bought and inside that go the electric lines. The modern stuff is more knuckled than spiraled due to manufacturing technique but the intent is the same. The lack of joints would suggest that. The advantage to it is that it can be rolled around a reel with attendant space savings and it is far lighter than the standard rigid pipe.

The wooden box might have been placed around the pipe to, in theory, keep it dry to lessen the potential for ground shocks. But unless one had very porous soil, the likelihood of which in Williamsburg is rather small, water might tend to collect in the box unless the ends where the pipe emerged to provide juice to the lamps were sealed.

Lyle Browning