Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:46:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
>Cathy,  
> 
>I can add a little to the information on the Hind's bottle that you've received.  The Hatchett Drugstore Museum (Lumpkin, Georgia) has 4 embossed paper-labelled cork-stoppered bottles complete with the original cardboard containers and inserts.  These bottles appear to be more recent than yours.  These small rectangular bottles contained 1.5 fl. drams of the skin cream.  The packaging was from the A. S. Hinds Co., Portland, Maine..  
> 
>The small bottles are heavily embossed: A. S. HINDS/PORTLAND,ME//1.5 FL. DR./HINDS/ HONEY AND/ALMOND CREAM//ALCOHOL 7%.  This product overlapped as a cosmetic and medical cream advertising "cleansing cream that makes the skin healthy, adds vigor, freshness and charm to the complexion, keeps the hands in splendid condition...unsurpassed for sunburn, chafing, an ideal after shave lotion".  The base of the bottle is embossed with the "I" in a diamond (datable Illinois Glass Co. logo." )  The containers included an 8-page flier with pages measuring about 2" by 3".  The flier was copywrighted in 1922 and gave the street address for the company as 335 Forest Ave. in Portland.  
> 
>The skin cream was introduced in 1875 and it became the property of the Lehn and Fink Company (known best for manufacture of Lysol) in 1907.  This information was also given in Fike's "Bottle Book" published in 199, who added it was still being sold by the Lehn and Fink Co. as late as 1948 when this company was located in Bloomfield, NJ.  
> 
>Hope this is helpful-
> 
>Allen
> 
> 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2