HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Leavitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:17:51 -0800
Perhaps from a bit bar - selling drinks, cigars, etc at one bit? The
bit bars in Virginia City, NV seemed to have a reputation for pricing
everything at two for two bits (still slang for a quarter) and  "no
change for one drink." For all practical purposes they charged
fifteen cents for one drink, but only a dime for the second.

Robert