HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:10:10 +1100
Geoff

I share your exasperation.

To my way of thinking, 'methodology' is the study of various 'methods' that achieve a particular objective.

A 'technique' is a way of implementing a particular method to achieve that objective.

To illustrate what I mean, let us suppose our objective is to find a grave.

Methodology shows us various methods can be used for achieving the objective of finding a grave - for example, geophysics (with its sub-methods), scraping the surface to reveal the cut of the grave, trenching, etc..

Let us further suppose that we have chosen the method of scraping the surface. Then we must choose from the techniques available for scraping surfaces - mechanical excavator with a toothless bucket, spade, and trowel.

As you suggest, the words tend to be used in an interchangeable manner. I suspect that 'working out a methodology' sounds more imposing than 'working out a method'.

Richard Wright