HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:24:55 +0100
I've just been going through a whole pile of stuff from various sources,
some of which refer to "method" or "methodology" and elsewhere of
"technique." Some of this refers to fieldwork and some to fieldwork coupled
with a wider interpretive framework. Now: when would people speak of
technique and when of method or methodology, or are they interchangeable?
Single Context Planning Method and trowelling technique, or would the study
of everything from the way we shovel and push wheel barrows to doing
documentation and taking photos be methodology? When would people use one or
the other?