HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:47:38 -0700
Several archaeologists have e-mailed me lately to let me know that the
webpage for my El Paso, Texas, e-book was no longer functioning.  This
is the second time that the school has removed my files from the
mainframe because I do not change them often enough to suit the school.

I had originally chosen the NMSU-A server because (aside from the fact
that I teach here) I thought that the e-book would remain available
virtually (pardon the pun) forever.  That is obviously not the case, so
I am changing venues.

In the last decade, I have also amassed considerably more data about
the bottling industry and, especially, about the bottles of El Paso.
Since I am in the process of changing venues, I also decided to update
the book.  The new edition will essentially follow the same arrangement
(i.e., history of a chain of companies followed by the bottles in
roughly chronological order), but it will be in Adobe (.pdf ) format.

The new book will be part of Bill Lindsey’s Historic Bottle Webpage
that many of you are already familiar with.  Although the updating will
take awhile, I (actually Bill Lindsey) will be posting each Chapter of
the book as it is completed.  Chapters 1-4 are currently available
(although I just realized that I left out the foreword and preface - I
need to update those, yet).  The first four chapters may be viewed or
downloaded at:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/elpasosoda1-4.pdf

If anyone wants/needs the information in the old 2000 edition, I have
slightly updated backup files in Microsoft Word format that I will send
on CD for $35 (postpaid).  I am not trying to push sales of the old
book.  The new edition will make it completely obsolete.  However, I
have been asked for the old edition.

Send checks to:

Bill Lockhart
1313 14th St., Apt. 21
Alamogordo, NM 88310

Sorry about the inconvenience to those of you who use the book.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University