HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:34:50 EDT
But what always proves to be a fascinating study is the records the WPA  kept
during their work. Several years ago, the U.S. Navy went to the National
Archives at Laguna Niguel and found neat little reports of WPA work performed at
U.S. Army, Fort Rosecrans in 1938-1940 with crisp and clear photos of how the
 buildings appeared at that time. This led to the discovery that the WPA
created  the cobblestone drainage ditches, wall revetments, and other features in
the  course of their work. What remains a mystery are the geometric symbols
created  in one of those revetments holding up a 15-foot high hill at the back
of an  underground artillery bunker. I should think the operational records,
reports,  and photos of WPA work at archaeology sites could be just as rich.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 3/27/2009 7:52:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,