HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"McAlexander, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:14:59 -0500
Gwen,

Technically, it goes way back.  In the 1960s collectors started looking
at WW II crash sites because of interest generated by stories of what
their fathers and grandfathers have done.  Governments have selectively
preserved or blocked off areas or facilities associated with a
particular action or event that deals with aerospace themes.

There has been a lot done, especially as governments release once help
properties that contain resources or cities expand into areas of old
abandoned airports.  Those actions create a lot of CRM work, but few
people talk aboout it or use that data.  It took a lot of badgering and
pushing to host a symposium on the theme in 2008.

I have left the theme broad for the simple reason that I want people to
communicate and demonstrate to others the possibility.  Few
archaeologists have even heard of the sub field or how the last World
Archaeological Congress made aerospace one of its theams.  There is not
only local and national laws, but international laws that researchers,
field techs, and teachers nedd to be aware of.  How has it served the
public good?  Bruce Terrell with NOAA while investigationg the USS Macon
off the California coast set up a program with local schools to educate
students about airships, underwater archaeology, technological change,
and why we do it.

More than a decade ago the Society for Induxstrial Archaeology held a
symposium on the theam looking at architecture and architectural
development in creating research facilities.

My own research on WW I airfields demonstrates that there were design
preferences by the major powers: Americans and Brittish prefered a
linear shape, French prefered an open "L", Germans a circular or "V"
design, Italians first started with a simple linear design then by 1918
started using a "V" design.  Development,economic presure, domination by
foreign powers, heavy influence by European powers and America were
occuring in both China and Mexico, yet photographs demonstrate how they
delI with aviation development and followed diverging paths.  think it
may have something to do with late 19th century military thought in the
various countries, but have yet to prove it.  Then again topography,
weather, production capabilites all come into play.

A part of what I hope to achieve, both from presenters and audience is
to gather contact information and get people togather.  Have thenm share
information on their favorite topic and where published and unpublished
sources can be acquired.  For now the field is open because it has to
be.  In a few years more restrained niches and spacific points can be
examined.

I hope my soap box rant helps,

William