HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Genheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:59:41 -0500
James

Any cover that is exposed to weather will suffer with time, so you need to state upfront that refurbishment/replacement will be necessary down the road.  Plex will etch and scratch, and there are of course limits on a span since it has little structural strength.  The biggest problem is always moisture, both in the form of drainage and condensation.  Even if you control for drainage, condensation will form on the underside of the plex unless adequate ventilation is provided.  I have seen too many of these covers become opaque from moisture and mold.  Providing easy mechanisms for replacement of plex is important.  Entropy is a wonderful thing!

Bob Genheimer
George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
Cincinnati Museum Center
1301 Western Avenue