HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:55:31 +0000
From:
"Stottman, Michael J" <[log in to unmask]>
I am looking for any information on studies of flower pots.  In particular, I am trying locate good resources on the history of terra cotta flower pots and relationship of size to use.  Also I am looking for info on greenhouse heating systems.  The session at the SHA conference in Baltimore last year was very good and I have some great resources from the histarch discussion of greenhouses and orangeries a couple of years ago, but I am looking more specifically at the mid to late nineteenth century and within an institutional context.  I am working on a greenhouse at the Eastern State Lunatic Asylum in Lexington, Kentucky where I have brick foundations, trench features associated with a heating system (seems to be for hearth and ash clean-out), and thousands of terra cotta flower pot sherds of various sizes.  I am looking to relate these resources to nineteenth century philosophies of architectural and landscape designs for asylums, such as the Kirkbride model and to treatment philosophies (I have Susan Piddock's edited volume and diss.).  Any suggestions for historical references or archaeological studies of flower pots and greenhouses would be much appreciated, I am trying make sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

M. Jay Stottman
Staff Archaeologist