HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:39:51 -0400
From:
Pat Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Looking for museum and archaeological examples of British musket/rifle escutcheon plates with the Crown GR (George Rex) monogram on it. I understand there are variations of the monogram dating generally 1730 to 1840. Also relevant publications dealing with the artifact type.

Attached is a photo and line drawing of the plate at the weblink below. The artifact comes from the surface of a long-term historic site and is in the private collection of an individual who found it after the site was salvage excavated in 1988. My goal is to get the best dating of the object or manufacture dates of this particular type of plate for a future report.

http://s145.beta.photobucket.com/user/Pat_Tucker/media/20Mr229EscutcheonPlateBritishMusketorRifleCopperAlloySurface.jpg.html

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Pat Tucker
Lab of Archaeology