HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:04:20 -0500
From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Unfortunately, the Bead Museum has closed its doors forever and the library
has, I believe, been sent to the Mingei Museum in San Diego along with the
full collection. I think it is all presently being accessioned.

I do not know of any other instances of bead inlay in ceramics. That it
never seems to have caught on on a broad scale is interesting as the
results are rather striking especially when opaque red beads are used for
eyes in human head effigy pipes where the bead is set so that the
perforation forms the pupil. It must have been spooky sitting opposite a
person smoking one of those.

Karlis