HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 12:01:46 -0400
From:
Pat Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Mike,

The Amos Spafford family farmhouse (1810-1830), located next to Fort Meigs (1813-1815)in Ohio, was test excavated in 1977 by the University of Toledo and the Ohio Historic Preservation Office (Northwest Region) which disclosed several features and a root cellar reported on in a recent article.  The farmhouse was destroyed on August 20, 1812 by a detachment of British and Indians from Fort Malden, Canada, led by Captain Peter Latouche Chambers (British 41st Regiment), the Wyandot Roundhead, and the Shawnee Tecumseh. The farmhouse was rebuilt on the same location in 1814 by Spafford. It is difficult to determine which occupation the root cellar was associated with since the site has been plowed, only test excavations conducted, and only fifteen months separating initial and subsequent occupations resulting in a thin soil layer stratigrahically separating the two occupation episodes.

If interested, I can send you a copy of the article in Adobe pdf format. A map or figure showing the location of the site was not included in the article for fear of pothunting or looting since it is on private property along the lower Maumee River, and entire site has only been minimally disturbed by plowing. A more complete report or monograph is being prepared on the site with stratigraphic profile of the feature containing root cellar.

Pat Tucker
Swanton, Ohio