HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:10:07 -0800
From:
Carolyn White <[log in to unmask]>
What terrible news. Geoff was an incredibly generous scholar and person. I had the fortune of spending a great deal of time with him in the summer of 2006 when I went to the Museum of London to study 18th and 19th century personal adornment---part of a bigger endeavor that was initially partially inspired by Geoff's fabulous book (with Frances Pritchard), Dress Accessories. Geoff couldn't have been more generous with me. When I met him first in his office at MOLAS, he brought out one artifact after another to show me, objects pulled from the depths of drawers and deep on shelves. Later that summer, Geoff made arrangements for me to meet with some of the old timer mudlarks on the Thames---those very same people who Geoff would eventually work with at the BM---and through this I got to see many personal adornment artifacts I would never have seen. Those guys really respected his knowledge and loved his character. I am attaching a photo I took of their tribute to Geoff that day.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/cw99999/We%20love%20Geoff/welovegeoff.jpg

It was amazing to me the way that Geoff could translate himself from MOLAS to the Thames foreshore to the academic conference environment and had admirers of his knowledge and friends in each place.

What a sad sad loss.

Carolyn White

Carolyn L. White
Assistant Professor