HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:43:33 -0500
From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
I think many of you are being unfair to Time Team / TT America.  These
people are professional colleagues, many of whom are readers of
HISTARCH.

It is a TV formula that works for that media type.  They promote a
strong preservation ethic- it isn't about digging stuff up. They
constantly connect the three-day scavenger hunt format to the long
term research and management plans at the sites.

If anyone else has a magical and mystical source for funding and a
pipeline connection to millions of viewers, please share it with the
rest of us.  I'd love to know.

Concerning the three-day imposed time limit, how hard would it be for
me to find an archaeologist with a story about "we have three days
before the bulldozers come through!"  Or how about "We've got this GPR
unit for five hours and then the funding runs out."  Please spare me
the idea that you all have unlimited funds and time.  We all
constantly make cost-benefit decisions about working within budgets
and timelines and to pretend otherwise is insincere and borderline
dishonest.

On the whole, I often catch myself saying, "The students in my lecture
just don't understand how important this is"  instead of "Why doesn't
my audience get the message I am trying to send them? How can I
deliver this message better?"

We all begin to like the critics who complained about Margaret Mead
writing for Redbook Magazine.

Cheers,
Tim