HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:19:25 -0400
From:
Pat Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Can anyone recommend a contact who might be willing to translate (from French to English) lists of outfits (packets of fur trade goods and supplies) of the firm Gabriel Godfroy & Jean Baptiste Beaugrand from 1797 to 1810? It is one oversized, bound ledger of 221 pages. Trade goods and supplies shipped from Detroit by batteaux to various locations such as Grosse Roche (Trenton or Gibraltar?, Michigan Territory), Riviere aux Roches (Stoney Creek, Michigan Territory), River Raisin (Michigan Territory), le pied au Rapides (foot of the Rapids, Michigan Territory - now Maumee, Ohio), and Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The store ledger or journal was handed-down by Beaugrand family members from Lower Sandusky (now Fremont, Ohio) and given the the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, Fremont, Ohio, for their manuscripts collection.

I can provide high-quality digital images of the pages. The handwriting is clear and precise in the formation of words, and a joy to translate. Unfortunately, I did not keep up with my three years of high school and college French to attempt it myself. Many of the items are probably repeated in the listing of outfits so that perhaps just 10-15 pages of translation would allow me to a good deal on my own.

If you prefer, I can be contacted off-line at [log in to unmask]

Pat Tucker
Swanton, Ohio

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet