From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:10:17 -0500
No shortage expected here. The bees look nice.

Sustained cold is a whole lot better than up and down weather. And sustained
cold "primes" the tree buds better. The tree buds are their first spring
feed.

I've seen maples bloom here in mid-January. No sign of maple bloom yet - and
I regard this as good, because it stimulates the queen and starts off the
season, but it is followed by dearth until at least mid-March, which can be
a serious time of starvation for bees, if the beekeepers are not alert to
the need for feed.

Of course, if some beekeepers let the bees go into winter light, and didn't
feed then, there will already be losses. But that probably would have
happened anyway, no matter what kind of winter.

Dave in SC