Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:45:12 -0800
I am considering raising my own queens for the first time this year.  After considerable investigation and research I have decided that the best method for me to get queens cells is to use the Hopkins Method.  This entails having the source queen lay eggs in an empty drawn comb and then destroying rows of cells (two rows out of three) on the diagonals leaving one cell with egg or one day old larvae with two rows of empty cells surrounding it.  That frame of cells is then placed horizontally over the top of the brood chamber in the cell building colony and the bees allowed to draw these cells downward into queen cells.

My question:  Has anybody out there used this method and what has been your experience and results?  Thanks     Mike in LA