Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:25:25 -0500
> However, on the West Coast and in Hawaii, where many very successful
> operations are completely dependent upon supplemental protein feeding, one
> has only to visit the Dadant warehouse in Chico (which supplies many of
> these beekeepers with product).  They stopped even stocking soy flour some
> years ago, because no one was asking for it anymore.

I've found that puzzling.  Global made patties without soy for California
and discontinued them from lack of demand.

In Florida, I heard that soy is avoided by some because the SHB like it.

(That, to me would be a confirmation that the soy flour is an attractive
insect feed).

Their Florida patties are also 80% sugar to encourage consumption.  That
surprised me, since I use patties with a much lower sugar content (see my
supplement page for the recipe) and so do many others and never have a
problem with attractiveness and consumption.

Again it is important to note that people tend to speak in general terms and
all soy flour is not equal.  Nor is all brewers yeast.