From:
Greg Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:27:03 -0500
It can be viewed at www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2010/bees/. I
don't recall anything too inflammatory re Cdn situation, one thing he said
made me squint but I cant remember what it was. Couldn't comment on Europe.
I think it supported the general feeling here that mites are a primary
problem with N ceranae emerging MAYBE as a primary pathogen. ( I am
wondering though that if it is a primary pathogen there may still be some
(non microbial) condition in the hive that permits it, as samples showed N
ceranae presentr previously)  I know Tibor and spoke with him. He explained
his comment to the effect of "breeding bee resistance to varroa is like
breeding sheep resistant to wolves" to mean, certainly, traits can be
selected that may help limit varroa in the hive, but that in itself wont
help with varroa brought back to the hive during robbing, drone drift etc.
The following are my words, not his, with apologies if I draw the wrong
conclusions -  He and his dad monitor mite counts daily and have seen huge
increases within days that cant be explained by a hatch of varroa in the
hive itself. So these sources are important and can crash a hive.
Management is still important and may become the only effective means -
drawn from monitoring, screened boards, drone trapping, nutrition, etc
The part that got me was to see Bill, a 90 yr old who had kept bees since he
was 16, come to tears when he opened his hives. It sure showed how we become
attached to the little things and I have felt like that also.

Greg
Everton Ontario