From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:26:26 +0000
>From: Tim Scarbrough <[log in to unmask]>
>If I take the bag still wet, should I not dry it off some to keep from
>drips occurring?

No, it will be fine just as it is. The remainder will be absorbed into
the bag.

>  Also, should I use a super to contain this and insulate
>the top between the roof and inner cover?

Any spacer device that keeps the integrity of the hive is fine..be it a
collar or an empty super. Just so long as the bags are right down on the
top bars against the cluster.

Insulation will be a matter for your own decision depending on local
conditions. In Scotland it is not necessary, but our winters here are
far more benign (normally anyway) than most would imagine despite us
being so far north.

FWIW.............we do NOT feed this way. Its is primarily a method used
by smaller scale beekeepers. We fully feed the bees with invert syrup (
a special type...not HFCS), and firefight any shortages using fondant.

Good luck anyway. I have seen friends do it this way with great success.
Just remember not to puncture the upper surface of the bags as you want
the rising warm moist air from the cluster to go into the bag and
condense there on the solid sugar.
--
Murray McGregor