From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 03:14:30 -0600
Hello All
Randy asked on December 19th.:.

> Bob .  What  do you see happening in your colonies in winter

I have not looked but will share what I like to see!

*If* my fall preparations for winter were successful I would expect to see:

1. bees in bottom box of two deeps or in top box but with a 3 inch band of
honey over the cluster.
1,a I would not want to see the cluster right under the top.

2. A large cluster of 8-9 frames
2 a. I would not like to see a small cluster of 3-5 frames but happens at
times this time of year when the hive did not raise enough winter bees so
what appeared to be
a hive large enough to winter in Missouri most likely will not now.

3. I like to see the cluster in center of the brood box. Not as important
with a huge winter cluster.
3a. I do not like to see the cluster off center and will intervene in early
fall. Bees starve many times when honey is available when the bees move off
center and end up against the side of the brood box inches from honey on the
other side.

4.I like to see plenty of stored honey/syrup.
4a. I dislike needing to provide feed to prevent starvation. I overfeed in
late fall as compared to many commercial beekeepers in my area but the
frames of honey I pull in spring to open the brood nest are put to good use
in spring nucs.

I also use a spacer in winter an inch and a half which provides an upper air
flow and allows me to drop a pollen patty, candy slab or fondant  on top in
cold weather without breaking the seal between the two hive bodies. I do not
break the lower spacer seal and use migratory lids with a long lip which
keeps the lids from being blown off.

Some  hives wintered in Missouri need syrup in early February. *if* I wait
till
late February for the first feeding some strong hives will starve. As a
general rule I feed a gallon of feed and a pollen patty the first time the
bees move to a loose cluster for a 48 hour period in February.

Quote from page 10 of  volume 1 number 1 issue of the American Bee journal
January 1861:

"He may be regarded as a master in bee culture , who knows how to winter his
stocks in a healthy condition, with the least loss of bees, the smallest
consumption of stores, and with the combs unsoiled."

I think the above is as true today as was a hundred and fifty years ago when
written about wintering bees in cold climates of the U.S.. One has to wonder
if the reference to "combs unsoiled" refers to dysentery only or perhaps
nosema apis.

bob