From:
Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:29:09 -0500
The following mesage did not conform to BEE-L guideleines and has been edited to remove irrelevant quotes.
---
European members of the Bee-List might find it interesting to know that
Susan Cobey is invited to a meeting in Germany, early March, near Kassel. If
members are iterested I could have a look where and when exactly. I agree
with Peter that the new techniques (which are not very new, indeed!) of AI
provide an excellent new approach into the breeding of the honeybee, as it
is described by Page/Laidlaw (long time ago: 25 years!). Am pleased to
inform that a variant of this CPB is executed already taking place at a
small scale here by agood beekeeping-friend of mine (Berlin), but we have
hope that after Susan's visit it might get progress. Breeding here in Europe
got stuck by the policy of many Institutes that restrict their breeding
purposes by limiting to one race, for some obscure reason. The pool -
resrvoir-insemination provides not only new approach in selection as such,
but also in the "speed" with which queens can be made available for
selection. I.e. Each year an insemination - session takes place in Belgium:
in 14 days about 1000 queens get inseminated! He can performe about 100
inseminations a day. Without "melking" the drones of course, but with
the assistance of some other experienced persons and *the availability
of matured drones*, the whole job gets mastered in two weeks.

Geert Van Eizenga