Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:04:37 -0800
--- On Fri, 2/19/10, Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
RE: To halt the interstate shipment of bees,
Following is an example of one state (Rhode Island) attempting to prevent the spread of varroa. It looks pretty silly in retrospect

Alabama has laws which prohibit the importation of honey bees on comb.  Queens and package bees can be imported from out of state.  This has not stopped the influx of disease and pests, but it seems to have greatly delayed the appearance of same.  It has made it difficult for me personally to increase my operation since I would a lot rather buy nucs than I would packages.  I have a friend in Florida who was selling nucs last year but since I couldn't import them, they were not an option.  Also, pollination options are nil except instate.  You can take your bees out on comb, but you can't bring them back on comb.   Ergo, for just about all of us here in Alabama, getting almond pollination contracts is not an option for us.

Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)