Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:34:01 -0500
> Recent work by Dave de Jong, et al, shows that pollen may not be the best
> food for bees after all. It requires extensive processing on their part to
> make it digestible. Like termites, they require gut flora to convert
> indigestible material into something they can use. Obviously, if the
> protein in the food was predigested it could save them a lot of wear and
> tear and possibly lead to improved health, depending on the composition of
> the supplement.

Thanks for that Peter.  Good stuff!

One question and one comment:

Question: Do bees ever eat fresh pollen or does it have to be made into bee
bread first?

Comment: Everyone, it seems, looks at the protein content in pollen and
supplements, and, noting reports that that higher-protein pollens are
generally much more efficacious than lower-protein pollens, extrapolate that
observation to supplements.

I have asked a number of noted experts the following question and never
received a clear answer, although I have seen he gears turning...  Maybe
some day...

Here is the question:
"If a feed has high protein, it necessarily follows that it contains lower
amounts of non-protein constituents, and given that higher-protein pollens
are reported in general to be more efficacious than lower-protein feeds, and
since it follows that lower-protein feeds necessarily contain greater
amounts of non-protein constituents, is it not reasonable to wonder if the
reason for the difference is *not the percentage of protein*, but the nature
and amount of the non-protein constituents that bees much consume in order
to obtain sufficient protein?"

If the non-protein constituents are the problem, should we not focus our
attention on them and not on the protein percentage.

It seems intuitive to me that if water and sugar are responsible for
lowering the protein level of the end feed, that should not really have much
influence on the effectiveness of the feed, particularly in contrast to a
case where the non-protein constituent is comprised of cellulose, ash,
esters, indigestible sugars and other possible factors, so we should be
ignoring the sugar and water and looking at the protein levels of the
non-sugar and non-water ingredients.