Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:51:40 -0500
> Did not work at all. He lost a large percentage of his hives.
> Testing showed the Apistan strips only dropped less than 200 varroa in 24
> hours and many were not dead but squirming on the sticky board.

I always figured the recommended method of using Apistan was flawed and
personally used a single strip in the overwintered cluster in early spring
before buildup.  The efficacy was such that only a few mites were found by
24 hour drop next fall.

The logic of applying Apistan in fall when the bees are on the bottom board
and the mites are in their best health escapes me.  Falling mites just get
back up, get on a bee and and it takes four strips to get control.  Plus,
hives which will be dying soon need to be treated.

In contrast, late winter/early spring treatment needs only one strip (less
bees), the mites are at their weakest since winter is really hard in them,
and any that fall, fall away from the cluster and perish alone in the cold
on the bottom board.  Also, the hives which died in winter need no treatment
(Their mites are dead).

One fifth the treatment gives twice the control.  But that is bad for
business , I guess.