From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:26:42 -0500
Brian Ames wrote:

“We should be glorifying the sustainable bee, fruit, nut and veggie
operations that add to solutions locally and nationally NOT create a never
ending stream of issues that they leave for someone else to clean up.”

Randy Oliver replied:

“My feeling is that we can best improve our practices by setting positive
examples rather than criticizing those who are simply filling a market
Demand.”

Brian and Randy said this in the apis cerana thread but I am stitching it into Allen and Dave’s thread because it seems equally on topic here.

I don’t mean to be cynical but can’t help but think of Diogenes the Cynic, the Greek philosopher. When Alexander the Great  showed up one morning and asked if there was any favour he could do for Diogenes he reportedly replied, “Yes! Stand out of my sunlight”.

Applying this to our current beekeeping debate the stationary beekeeper might say to the migratory beekeeper, “Stand out of my sunlight and stop spreading every pest known to bees around the country”.

And the migratory beekeeper might say to the stationary beekeeper, “ Stand out of my sunlight and stop cramping my style while producing next to nothing. I’m trying to feed the world here (and make enough money to go to Maui every winter).”

I have no problem with the migratory beekeeper blocking my sunlight for awhile. I’d just like to point out that their operations don’t appear to be sustainable in the long term so ask that they be careful not to destroy the sun with their exertions. When they have finished trying to feed the world ( and go to Maui every winter) I’d like to see the sun again.

Ted