From:
Mike Bispham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:02:59 EST

In a message dated 22/01/2010 15:09:14 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
 writes:

>>If the  bloom growers were able to distinguish between  healthy and
unhealthy  bees (where
that term is equivalent to  broad-spectrum resistant)  they could, if they
felt it suited their  purposes, apply pressure for  healthy bees. <<

>Do they care, so long as they have what they consider to be the  requisite

number of bees during the few weeks of  flowering?

Chris<

I'd have thought so.  All else being equal, improving  and maintaining the
quality of the current stock decreases the likelyhood  of shocks later on.
Surely any farmer/businessman understands that  much?  Most large and
successful businesses tend to be good at spotting  opportunities to secure their
interests.  Fruit and nut  producers understand well the cost-benefit
implications of long-term  planning.  They will want to protect their investments,
and that  means protecting future pollination.  Paying a little more  for
pollinators who do not undermine prospects for the future by keeping
unhealthy bees has to be a good investment - if it is seen to discourage  unhealthy
beekeeping practices.  That will tend to stabilise future  costs, help with
future planning, and perhaps lower insurance  premiums.

It could also offer to help the growers improve their environmental
credentials.  People who help bees tend to get a good press, and  vice-versa.
Improving 'husbandry' by (doh) paying attention to genetics  seems to be set to
be the next great thing in beekeeping. It fits right in  with the growing
sense that we should work harder to protect the  environment and maintain the
irreplaceable biodiversity.  Lots of  businesses could benefit hugely from
being seen to contribute to the  effort, and the big growers are very well
positioned.

Mike