From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:22:10 -0700
>So, the question is: does propolis really help?

In addition to Dr Spivak's work which Ari cited,  she also found some types
of propolis (alcohol solution painted inside the boxes) to be of benefit in
controlling varroa.

 Uraguayan researchers also found that spraying an extract of propolis
decreased the number of AFB spores in colonies.
Antúnez K, Harriet J, Gende L, Maggi M, Eguaras M, Zunino P. (2008) Efficacy
of natural propolis extract in the control of American Foulbrood.  Vet
Microbiol. 2008 Oct 15;131(3-4):324-31.

Rotating out combs certainly makes perfect sense, but again, I do not trust
perfect sense when it comes to bee management.  In nature, stressed colonies
may abscond (some races much moreso than others), leaving behind diseased or
mite-infested combs.  Also in nature, bees in expanding colonies rear brood
on new combs.

However, as Allen says, beekeepers have long found that a supply of used
drawn combs are one's most valuable asset.  Bees clearly prefer to store
honey in dark comb above the brood.

I'm as curious about this as anyone.  When I shake a large cluster of bees,
or a swarm, onto new foundation, the colony explodes.  On the other hand,
experience always tells me to give a weaker, or a wintering colony drawn
dark combs.

Unfortunately, I've rarely had enough dark drawn comb on hand to experiment
with, since I'm constantly drawing comb to replace that which I sell with
nucs.  I can emphasize with beginners, since most of my beekeeping career
has consisted mainly of drawing out combs of foundation.

Randy Oliver