HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:37:13 -0400
Meli,

There are still AH folks who view archaeology as the Dark Side and archaeologists who view AH folks the same way, but those are diminishing in numbers. My training was in the UK where someone aptly said that archaeology began beneath the stork nest on top of the chimney pot and continued down to the gravel bar on the bank of the Thames 30 feet below street levels (bearing in mind that stork nests are not common in London but they were illustrating a point). At least here in VA, there was a very wide chasm. We can still quite merrily record a building without recording the archaeological component, but at least the 106 folks are pointing the error of their ways in that one.

When one can tie building episodes and repair episodes to archaeological materials, perceived differences between the two professions become moot. One colleague said only half in jest that he could not "deal with a standing structure until it became a pile of rubble".

But, again, we're a product of our training and how many Universities demand architectural history courses (beyond perhaps intro level) that tie the two together?

I'm also looking at the day when there really is a national computerized system in place and imagining the headaches that could be avoided with a single unified system that will at least get one to the site/structure in question whereas it's only done in a few states now.

Lyle Browning