HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:52:14 -0400
The Chesterfield County (VA) Dept. of Parks & Rec has several parks incorporating Civil War fortifications adjacent to and near industrial parks. 1) CSA Battery Danztler is a monster fort designed to stop Union gunboats coming up the James River to attack Richmond and there are several such boats in the river that failed in the attempt. 2) USA Point of Rocks Park that incorporates a line of  linear trenchworks and a water battery (lunette) as part of Fort Zabriskie, a fort anchoring the southern end of the line from Butler's infamous "Corked in a Bottle" escapade. CFP&R have built a wooden walkway up and over the lunette so that it can be seen, and the naturally growing poison ivy was left, as suggested, to prohibit folks from walking within and over it. The linear earthworks have a trail in back that has interpretative signage. The fort does not appear to be within the park. 3) CSA Fort Stevens was built as part of Richmond's defenses and was used 2 years later in Butler's move against Drewrys Bluff. Originally to be demolished for a water tower, last minute negative publicity won an effort to save it and to put it within the park system. 4) USA Fort Wead was part of Butler's build-up to keep himself encorked at Bermuda Hundred.

These features have more or less reached stasis with their environment and are maintained in that state. Funding for viewshed management at Dantzler has proved to be elusive, but the issues of erosion down a 150' high bluff are cause for caution. Signage exists on all of the features, incorporated into the overall park design.

Lyle Browning