HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Charles H. Fithian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:26:17 +0000
All,
Did not see the entire e-mail trail, but thought this may be of some help.

All Long Lands have an elongated, "stepped" butt plate regardless of model or period within the 18th-century. That generally is one of the diagnostic features of this weapon type.

One of the best recent studies/sources is De Witt Bailey's Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms, 1718-1783 (1997) . A publication that illustrates good examples the stock furniture on intact weapons is R. R. Gale's "A Soldier-Like Way": The Material Culture of the British Infantry, 1751-1768 (2007) .

In terms of dating for the archaeological context, bear in mind that the Long Land musket continued in use well through the American War for Independence. American units would certainly have used them, and some British regiments, such as the Brigade of Guards, actually turned in their newer model( Short Land Pattern) and drew the older Long Lands during their American service.

Chuck Fithian