Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:53:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I don't have a website but Harrison Meeske's book "The Hudson Valley Dutch and Their Houses" illustrates floor tiles as well as delft tiles. You might also check out "Dutch Colonial Homes in America" by Roderick H. Blackburn.  It has excellent color illustrations.  Meeske also has some good illustrations of window leads.  

All the best,

Rich Veit

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Colonial floor tiles & window glazing

I'm looking for a source of information on the kind of ceramic floor tiles found in early Dutch or other colonial houses. Years ago, I saw such artifacts described in some conference papers in Albany about early sites.
But I'm finally in the internet age and would like to find illustrations of this type of artifact. Can anyone recommend a web site where I might find such illustrations?

The other early artifact type I would like to illustrate is windowpane lead - the thin strips that formed the channels that held small glass panes togetehr to form larger windows.
Both glazing lead strips and floor tiles might be more common on European sites? If so, can someone recommend a European source?
Thanks in advance for helping.

Meli Diamanti

ATOM RSS1 RSS2