HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Bates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 07:46:59 -0700
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:04:54 EDT, Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Actually, the first two photos looked like the rock masonry was  camouflaged.
>The third photo had good contrast, so I could go back to  the photos and
make out the image. I like the hypothesis this was a heating  chimney to draw
air from the shaft. (Ron May)

>Thanks Ron and others for the references and ideas.
I apologize for the botched link to the photos.  Interestingly, a local man says
that the structures are chimneys that were used to create a draft through a
pipe or hose that sucked dust out of the mine.  I discounted this idea as
speculation.

These mines are in the gold area of Cheohee Creek in Oconee County (old
Pickens District) of South Carolina.  They may be the Moodie (Moody) mine
noted on page 22 of Catalogue of the Mineral Localities of South Carolina,
Earle Sloan, South Carolina Geological Survey, 1908.

Jim Bates