Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:02:05 -0500
If we consider Spirotetramat to be safe for honeybees is that all that matters?
Seems to me there are a few other issues with this product such as fish fry and birds. If we take the Coho Salmon runs in California’s rivers and streams they are nearly gone. The very best return was in the Salmon River which had a 90% reduced return last year. Many streams there are now void of Coho. That fishery is shut down to fishers that used to rely on the Coho for part of their income.
I know it concerns me living on the Fraser River Delta and heavy agriculture. This is where the fish fry settle. They acclimatize to the salt water in the calm shallow brackish water of the river before they go out to sea. Pesticides are not the only issue when considering the decline of the Coho but certainly part.
Is the honey bee all we are concerned about?