From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:55:21 -0500
Grant:
> Allen is right that beginners really need to hook up with a local mentor...

Also, clubs. This year I have undertaken to become active in the local and state clubs, as well as to try to get the local clubs to get together more. Our Finger Lakes Club has been having joint meetings with the Ontario County NY club, and we are encouraging all local members to join the state association.

I have heard that commercial beekeepers avoid clubs because there are too many hobbiests and sideliners avoid the clubs because there are too many big guys. Both are wrong, of course, the clubs are made up of both and there aren't enough of either.

In any club there is at least one member who has the same problems as you do, and at least one member who can help with that problem, having had it in the past.

plb